Crispy on the outside and moist and creamy on the inside, “Jewish Style” Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes make a perfect Friday Night meal.
I grew up with Salmon Croquettes. It is one of the few things I remember my mother cooking.
It was actually really good too….even when I was not really a fish eater.
While I love the Pan-Fried version, the Air Fryer does a really good job making an Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes version.
The most time consuming part of making Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes, is removing the skin and bones from the Salmon. You can use Bumble Bee Salmon Pink Salmon or buy a Fresh Salmon Fillet and cook it in your Air Fryer.
We love to fish, so we have caught our own Salmon and made Salmon Croquettes.
Jump to Section
Using Canned Salmon
Canned Salmon comes rolled up and there are usually four layers.
What I find easiest, is to break the layers apart and work with one piece at a time. Rinse each layer under cool running water, as you rub off the skin and pull out the backbone and small bones.
Take your time on this part, as you don’t want to choke on a bone and then place the clean fish in a Medium Mixing Bowl. I’m also sensitive to fishy tasting fish, so I remove the darker color Salmon too.
Lemon Dill Aioli
You are going to want to make up a batch of Lemon Dill Aioli before staring the salmon croquettes and then pop it in the refrigerator to chill.
Grating the Onion
Take a Hand or Box Grater and grate up the Carrot and the Onion.
“Jewish Mom Style” refers to the fact that my mother, I assume, used Matzo Meal, rather than Seasoned Breadcrumbs. I would imagine she also added various seasonings, but I cannot remember exactly. Salmon Croquettes are popular during Passover and Matzo Meal is used in place of breadcrumbs for many recipes.
A delicious Passover Recipe is my Pressure Cooker Passover Vegetable Lasagna.
It has been so long since I have made Salmon Croquettes and my memories are a bit rusty. I do remember that she did not dredge the Croquettes in Flour/Starch or Breadcrumbs prior to frying.
Making Salmon Croquettes
After scanning a bunch of Salmon Croquette recipes on line, it would appear that most people use Italian Seasonings. It makes sense, since Seasoned Breadcrumbs are pretty much breadcrumbs and Italian Seasoning. For all I know, she might have used Seasoned Breadcrumbs at times.
I also noticed that most people do dredge the Croquettes in Breadcrumb prior to cooking. My Crab Cakes recipe (coming soon) is mostly Lump Crab and I don’t dredge those either. Moral of the story is that the Matzo Meal and individual Seasonings can be replaced with Italian Seasoned Breads and then just add Kosher Salt and Pepper.
The Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes recipe makes one dozen Salmon Croquettes.
This will help, so that food does not stick to the surface of the Air Fryer Basket. You may have to Air Fry the Salmon Croquettes in two or more batches.
Another wonderful recipe for your air fryer is my Air Fryer Turkey Croquettes. These are seriously amazing. We make sure to make extra Instant Pot turkey breast and Instant Pot Stuffing at Thanksgiving so we can use the leftover for the turkey croquettes.
Using an Oil Mister
It uses a pump action and after pumping, it sprays continuously to be able to spay the Croquettes really well.
You may think you are using a lot of Oil, but you will be surprised.
Serve the Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes with my Lemon Dill Aioli on the side.
Pair the meal with my Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes and a nice Green Salad.
For a nice lunch or brunch, prepare a salad of greens and place a couple of Salmon Croquettes right on top, with a dollop of Lemon Dill Aioli. That will make a beautiful presentation!
Kitchen Equipment and Essentials
- Ultrean 8.5 Quart Air Fryer
- J.A. Henckels Classic 7-inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- Amco Advanced Performance 18/10 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Simply Gourmet (Dry) Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Rösle Stainless Steel Flat Whisk– a MUST have, probably my most used utensil
- Cilio Olivewood Spatula
- Rachael Ray Stoneware EVOO Oil Dispensing Bottle
- Alton Brown Salt Box
- Gravity Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder
- Olive Oil Sprayer / Mister for Cooking
- 3 ounce Porcelain Dipping/Condiment Bowls
- My FANTASTIC Teak Cutting & Charcuterie Board & Compartments
- 3.5 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
- Hand or Box Grater
Caring is sharing! If you would like to support This Old Gal, please share this recipe on Social Media, so that I can continue to bring you more wonderful recipes!
If you share a picture of something you make from our blog, tag it with #thisoldgalcooks so we can see it. We might feature it on Instagram! It makes my day when I see you’ve made one of our recipes!
Here is the handy printable recipe:
“Jewish Style” Air Fryer Salmon CroquettesPrint Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 29.5 ounce Bumble Bee Pink Salmon bones/skin removed (2 cans)
- 1 medium Carrots grated
- 1 small Yellow/Brown Onion grated
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Matzo Meal
- 1 Tblespoon Chives chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Mix together Aioli and place in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Remove skin and bones from Salmon and place into medium bowl.
- Peel and grate carrot and place into bowl with salmon.
- Grate onion and squeeze out excess water and add to bowl with salmon.
- Add eggs, mayonnaise, matzo meal, Italian seasonings, chives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and mix together well.
- Form into 12 sections and roll into balls.
- Flatten out balls onto a cookie sheet, so that they are about 3 inches diameter by 3/4 inches thick.
- Place patties into refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place 6 patties in a single layer into greased air fryer basket and spray well with oil.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 6 minutes and then flip over.
- Spray again with oil and cook 4 minutes, or until brown on both sides.
- Garnish with chives and lemon zest. Serve with Lemon Dill Aioli.
PIN this Air Fryer Salmon Croquettes!